Saturday, May 01, 2010

Padres

When I wrote before the start of the season that the Padres would make noise, I didn't think it would be an explosion. I also didn't think opponents would be so silenced. The Brewers came into Petco Park as the highest-scoring team in the league, and have been blanked over 18 innings.

Some interesting things:

- The Padres are in the upper half of baseball in runs scored despite playing in a pitcher's park and having a mediocre team batting average. They are second in steals. Correlation? I think so. Pitching is only part of the equation because the Giants and Cardinals both have better team ERAs.

- Kevin Kouzmanoff is hitting .256 for Oakland with just 1 HR. I might be blind but I didn't find fielding stats on the source I was checking. Chase Headley is batting .322 and he, too, needs to improve on his 1 HR.

---

Vista's Trevor Cahill was called up from AAA Sacramento to fill in for a suddenly battered A's starting rotation and was rocked by Toronto Friday to the tune of 6 earned runs in 5 innings.

---

So you all get me excited about local horse Sidney's Candy being one of the Kentucky Derby favorites and wait until Friday to tell me he's never run in dirt? Nice. Not only will it be dirt, but it could very well be mud because of bad weather. We'll hope for the best.

No comments: