Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breitbard

I had a few dealings with Bob Breitbard, the dean of the local sports community who died Monday at the age of 91. One stood out, and it really showed what kind of guy he was.

I have an entrepreneurial bent, in case you haven't noticed, and I had an idea quite a few years ago that I want to run by him so he could judge its worth. I think it would have been in the early 1990s. He was still heavily involved in his business, California Linen Supply, which provided laundry services for hotel towels and bedding -- quite a lucrative slice of this town's thriving tourism industry.

He was only too happy to meet with me. He invited me up to his office right there in his downtown plant. We must have met for a half-hour and he gave me some encouragement and the advice I sought. This gentleman who was more used to hanging out with baseball Hall of Famer Ted Williams had no problem taking time out of his day to listen to some guy he'd never met before.

Ultimately, the idea didn't go anywhere, but it wasn't because of Bob Breitbard. This man, who was among those who brought the Chargers to San Diego, promoted the Padres from AAA to the major leagues and established the Holiday Bowl, graciously led me to the next step in the process.

When I operated Sandiegosportstown.com years later I tried to repay the favor by publicizing events at the sports museum Breitbard founded, the San Diego Hall of Champions. He is one of those guys who might now be gone, but the results of his works will remain with us for a long time to come.

---

I sure hope San Diego State football coach Brady Hoke is getting his program on track. In 2010, the non-conference schedule will be embarrassingly easy with home games against Nicholls State and Utah State, and road contests at New Mexico State and Missouri. Only one loss there.

But 2011 will be much different. It was announced Tuesday that SDSU will make its second appearance in the Big House with a game at Michigan. A home game against Washington State is also on the docket, as is another roadie at Army. The season opens at The Q against Chuck Long-nemesis Cal Poly-SLO.

The slate in 2012 includes an opening road game at Cincinnati and home contests vs. Army, North Dakota and San Jose State. It wouldn't shock me to see the Fighting Sioux replaced by someone more interesting, as it looks like Hoke might be up for the challenge that scared his predecessor.

No comments: