Monday, July 09, 2007

Back for Another Try, Padres All-Stars

Here we go with another round of trying to make regular entries to this blog. Hopefully, it will go better this time.

I'm thrilled with Padres pitchers Jake Peavy, Chris Young and Trevor Hoffman making the All-Star game in San Francisco, but I also have to admit to having a bit of trepidation. I think that Peavy got the start by default, since he and Brad Penny of the Dodgers were so close in their performances this year, and Penny had his chance last year. It is simply Peavy's turn.

The trouble is that in big games, Peavy too often lets his emotions get the best of him, and he begins missing with his location. You know the games I'm referring to. And in his last couple of starts, he has not been his usual dominating self. In fact, I would go so far as saying that Young is now the ace of the Friars' starting rotation.

Hoffman's history is that he is brilliant against 95 percent of big-league players. The other 5 percent are good enough to handle him, like in All-Star games. Like last year. I'm hoping that after the game I can post a sigh of relief.

No comments: