Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Notes on LT and Crow, Aztecs, New Padres

I haven't had much time for long posts lately, but here's a few notes on some things in the local sports scene:

I really don't understand all the local controversy over the playoff fate and performances of LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Cromartie. They are irrelevant now. It makes for some media fodder, but that's about it...My sources tell me there is not going to be any substantive news about the potential new downtown stadium for the Chargers for a while. All the action is in LA. However, the conditions levied on the LA City Council by Philip Anschutz may be too much for them to handle, so that's no sure thing.

Kind of funny reading stories about how tough BYU's Marriott Center has been on the San Diego State basketball team over the years. Irrelevant, also. The Pit and Huntsman Center have been rough on the Aztecs, as well, and you've seen what's happened there...I think SDSU is as likely to win Showdown No. 1 on Wednesday night because they're a better team and, despite the record, I'm not sure BYU is as good as it was last season...If you think this town is going Aztecs crazy, wait until after they beat the Cougars. If they do, you can paint this town red and black...The football team's offensive coordinator is going to be Andy Ludwig, who directed Utah's attack in their undefeated season a couple of years ago. Wow! Just wow! It's all going good...I'm pleased to see former USD head coach Kevin McGarry was hired to handle the linebackers. His separation from USD was handled horribly by the school. It's great to see him land on his feet.

Speaking of USD, I last week heard some serious anti-Bill Greer sentiment for the first time in other areas of the media. My criticism has always been over the way predecessor Brad Holland was let go, putting pressure on Greer to perform. And you've seen how it has gone. But Greer is certainly going to get another year.

Like Jason Bartlett and Orlando Hudson, I'd have preferred to see Jorge Cantu a few years ago. Now is a little late...If Tim Stauffer is pitching well through May, I'd spring for a multi-year contract...I can't complain about the pitching moves, though. Throw out the 2010 ERA of the latest bullpen pickup, Chad Qualls, because he's been very solid throughout his career.

No comments: