Wednesday, June 18, 2008

San Diego's Greatest Sports Events

The San Diego Union-Tribune had a list Wednesday of the greatest sports events in San Diego, putting the recently completed U.S. Open golf tournament third.

A pretty good list, I think. I put together a number of such lists when I had Sandiegosportstown.com, but the the lists of greatest sports events I made used some different criteria. I think Bill Center was looking for things more national in scope, where San Diego made an impact on sports fans across the United States. Me, I was looking for local impact. Therefore, my list of the greatest local sports events included two from the high school level: Mt. Carmel's stirring girls basketball Division I final victory over El Camino and the Division IV boys basketball semifinals at Cuyamaca College in which Lincoln downed Christian on a three-pointer at the buzzer and Bishop's upset Horizon on a three-quarter court last-second desperation heave. Both were awesome, but no one outside the county would care.

Using Center's criteria, I think adding the America's Cup as suggested by some readers makes sense, certainly over a horse race and even Super Bowl XXXII. The San Diego State football victory over Florida State is a good pick, but from what I've read of SDSU's past, a 36-0 wipe-out of then small-college #1 North Dakota State before 35,000 at Balboa Stadium came with great drama and served as a springboard to Division I status. The Holiday Bowl game might also be included. I could also see USD's 2003 West Coast Conference Tournament championship victory over Gonzaga being on the list. Or this year's, since it led to an NCAA Tournament win.

---

Chase Headley is finally called up by the Padres and in his first game gets two hits in Yankee Stadium. Nice.

No comments: